Christian Blind Mission (CBM UK)
We want to support girls in Zimbabwe to go to school. CBM is working with Plan International to help girls with disabilities, aged 10-19, who are not currently attending school, to access education, helping them to catch-up with what they’ve missed and then access mainstream schools. The programme aims to reach over 21,000 girls who have never attended school or have dropped-out – at least 6% of these have disabilities.
Our desire is to:
1. – Reduce poverty barriers by eliminating direct costs of schooling, thereby providing the option for girls to complete primary school and vocational training.
2. – Eliminate distance travelled to school through community-based learning-hubs – this will also address ‘school infrastructure barriers’ such as menstrual hygiene facilities (see November 2020 report from SAGEinKenya).
3. – Provide training and materials for community educators for inclusive and gender-responsive curriculums.
4. – Provide community-based free childcare for young mothers.
5. – Provide strategies to reduce stigma (assistive devices, hub modifications and community sensitisation programmes).